Incident: Wild Land Fire in the Feather River Canyon and Butt lake Areas
On 8/20/12 the Chips Fire proceeded up the Clear Creek Drainage and headed towards Ohio Valley. Due to extreme conditions, this caused the fire to spread to the top of the ridge South of Ohio Valley.
There were also spot fires located on the South side of the North Fork of the Feather River below Seneca Road. To combat the further spread of fire a back burn process has begun.
The back burn which began on the night of 8/19/12 West of Canyon Dam and Big Meadows was implemented to stop the further spread of the fire. Due to the fire danger and location of the back burn along Hwy. 89 near Prattville, a Mandatory Evacuation of Prattville is now in effect.
There is a Mandatory Evacuation still in effect for Canyon Dam and Big Meadows area.
A Voluntary Evacuation is in place for Almanor.
An Advisory is in effect to all West Almanor and East Shore residents (Hwy. 147) advising of the potential threat of the fire to the areas. Evacuation Center is located at the Chester Memorial Hall on Gay Street.
Stay tuned to media advisements and monitor the Plumas County website for updated information. For Evacuation Center information call (530) 283-3593.
Due to current weather conditions and fire behavior the following Road Closures, Evacuation Orders and Sheriff’s Advisement are in effect.
-Caribou Road to Butt Lake Dam from Highway 70- “Hard Closure”
– Rush Creek Road from Highway 70 – Open to residents only.
– All additional secondary roads North of Highway 70 between Rock Creek Dam and Twain from Highway 70- “Soft Closures”
– Seneca Road from Highway 89 – “Hard Closure”
– Butt Lake Dam, Ohio Valley Road, Butt Lake Road, Humbug/Humboldt Road and all additional secondary roads West of Highway 89 between Canyon Dam and the Humbug/Humboldt Road from Highway 89- “Hard Closure”
.-Hwy 89 between Butt Lake Road and Hwy 147- “Hard Closure”
-Lake Almanor Drive West between Butt Lake/Prattville Road and Hwy. 89- “Hard Closure”
-Highway 147 and Old Haun Road have been reopened.
- -Sheriff’s Mandatory Evacuation- Caribou Road from Hwy 70 to the Butt Lake Dam
- -Sheriff’s Mandatory Evacuation- Butt Lake Area, Ohio Valley, Humbug and Humboldt Area, and Yellow Creek Area.
- -Sheriff’s Mandatory Evacuations- Seneca.
- -Sheriff’s Mandatory Evacuation- Canyon Dam and Big Meadows.
- -Sheriff’s Mandatory Evacuation- Prattville.
Sheriff’s Voluntary Evacuation
- -Rush Creek Road evacuation has been lifted to Voluntary status.
- -Hwy 70 from Tobin to Twain.
- -Almanor West
Sheriff’s Advisement- Will be sent to all local radio and news stations, Public Information Officer Plumas County, Local OES Director, Fire Departments in the affected area, and the Chips Incident Command Team. Due to the Chips Fire and its behavior the above listed communities are under a Sheriff’s Advisement. Residents are encouraged to make an evacuation plan, to include the gathering of photos, important documents and priceless keepsakes. Please discuss with your family a location you will travel to, should the need arise to evacuate. Ensure you have also made arrangements for the care and safekeeping of your pets.
Chips Fire, Plumas County