Susanville Indian Rancheria: Controller
OPENING DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: September 8, 2022
FIRST CLOSING DATE: September 22, 2022 CLOSING DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: October 6, 2022
POSITION TITLE: Controller
STARTING SALARY: Negotiable
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
HOURS: Full Time
BENEFITS: Highly competitive package *See below
SUBJECT TO P.L. 101-630: Yes – This position works with and around our children and youth and is therefore subject to P.L. 101-630.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will assist with the design, operations, and control of effective administrative procedures related to accounting, payroll, property control, procurement and operational budgets for tribal governmental funds and clinic funds as well as the implementation of new accounting software modules. The Controller will be assisting with the training of clinic and tribal staff with these implementations. Day-to- day general ledger responsibilities, accounts receivable, payroll and tax compliance for tribal entities, including month end close of asset and liabilities will be the responsibility of the Controller.
SPECIFIC AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assists in the development, establishment and maintenance of proper accounting procedures and internal control processes to ensure that the financial accounting records, financial reports, management reports and financial budgets are accurate, complete, and timely and presented in a professional manner.
• Reviews cash management procedures regarding medical billing and other revenue streams for compliance with policies and assists with implementation of cash drawers.
• Manages general ledger accounting, including reconciling all balance sheet accounts (bank reconciliation, clinic and general accounts receivables, payroll liability accounts), and coding of expenditures to proper budget accounts as well as chart of accounts.
• Ensures that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner.
• Assists with the preparation of the annual budget (Bureau of Indian Affairs, Indian Health Service, tribal contracts and/or grants, as well as gaming and non-gaming enterprises) and processes for all tribal funds and departments, including preparation of initial budgets. Monitors plans and projects and reports progress on a monthly, or more frequent, basis to the Chief Financial Officer.
• Assists with the preparation of forms, reports, and other required documents necessary for compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements related to contracts and grants.
• Supports tribal executive level managers in the day-to-day cost control and financial performance of each program.
• Reviews internal controls and assists with establishing policies and procedures at the management level to ensure adequate safeguard of assets.
• Performs internal audits involving review of accounting and administrative controls.
• Supervises accounting support staff to ensure proper compliance with, and execution of, accounting policies and procedures as well as tribal personnel policies and procedures.
• Reviews and monitors the work-product of accounting staff to ensure the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, and proper presentation of accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, payroll tax and other accounting information.
• Understands fully, manages, coordinates and trains staff regarding the computer hardware and software systems used in the fiscal department.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
A. Ability to be bonded.
B. Demonstrated ability to understand and comprehend the different business and program activities of the tribal government and health clinic to support the compliance requirements for various agencies.
C. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
D. Ability to Supervisor.
E. Knowledge of governmental accounting standard board requirements.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent from an accredited high school.
- Must have a valid California driver’s license or license from current residence state.
- Must pass P.L. 101-630 background check.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Must have a valid CPR card or be able to obtain one within ninety (90) days of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration with emphasis in accounting or finance. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Ten (10) years experience working in the accounting field including a minimum of five
(5) years management experience in the accounting field, minimum of three (3) years in governmental accounting or three (3) years experience in for-profit business accounting, with emphasis on financial analysis and/or business startup.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience maintaining and operating a budget for a complex organization with multiple funding sources and departments.
- Experience as a supervisor or manager.
- Certified public accountant or certified government financial manager is preferred.
PHYSICAL SAFETY: The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying of light items, driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
• Uphold all principles of confidentiality.
• Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards.
• Interact in an honest, trustworthy, and respectful manner with employees, visitors and vendors.
• Participate in departmental staff meetings, quality management activities, cultural and educational programs.
• Comply with policies and procedures.
• Display respect and understanding of Susanville Indian Rancheria’s traditions and values.
• The way the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability.
• Any attitude or behavior that will tarnish the name or reputation of the Susanville Indian Rancheria will not be tolerated and is subject to disciplinary action.
1st Preference: Enrolled member of a Federally Recognized Tribe.
2nd Preference: Documented proof of Veteran Status, i.e. DD-214, Veterans Benefit Card.
3rd Preference: Non-Native applicant.
SIR BENEFITS PACKAGE:
The Susanville Indian Rancheria offers its Full-Time employees a highly competitive benefits package, including: annual cost-of-living increases (based on SSA COLA); eligibility for annual merit increases; twelve paid holidays; thirteen days paid sick leave; up to twenty-six days paid annual leave (depending on length of service); maternity leave; paternity leave; affordable group health, dental, vision, and life insurance; and 401(k) retirement plan.
HOW TO APPLY AND APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
All applicants are required to submit a Susanville Indian Rancheria/ Lassen Indian Health Center application. Applications can be found on our website at: www.sir-nsn.gov/human-resources/ (SIR – LIHC – Gaming Commission Application for Employment P.L. 101-630 Requirements) or picked up at 745 Joaquin Street, Susanville, CA.
Only complete applications will be considered. For your application to be considered complete you must attach the following:
1. Completed Susanville Indian Rancheria/Lassen Indian Health Center Application.
2. Copy of your High School Diploma or College Degree or transcripts documenting your graduation or completion of your Degree.
3. Copy of your valid Driver’s License.
4. Copy of any other certification required.
5. Copy of Tribal Card, if claiming Indian Preference.
6. Copy of DD214 or other proof of Veteran status, if claiming Veteran’s Preference.
7. An additional statement on how you meet each minimum qualification.
Complete applications can be dropped off in person to the Human Resources Office at 745 Joaquin Street, Susanville, California, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. They may also be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to (530) 251-1895 or mailed to the above address. All applications must be received by 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the announcement.