Susanville Indian Rancheria – Social Services Assistant
OPENING DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: January 26, 2022
CLOSING DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: February 11, 2022
POSITION TITLE: Social Services Assistant
STARTING SALARY: $20.11 to $25.13 depending on experience
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
HOURS: Full Time
BENEFITS: Highly competitive package *See below
SUBJECT TO P.L. 101-630: Yes, this position works with and around our children and youth and is therefore subject to P.L. 101-630.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general direction of the ICWA Coordinator, he/she will be responsible for assisting in the overall duties of Tribal Social Services. This individual will strive to meet the unique needs of the tribal community against economic, social, and environmental challenges by providing supportive services to Native American families to promote, member services, emergency and energy assistance, family preservation and domestic violence prevention.
SPECIFIC AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides intake services for each client receiving assistance in the Social Services programs.
• Assess available community resources and other factors for planning and referral; ensuring an appropriate service delivery plan is in place.
• Assists in the development and maintenance of a Direct Referral System that will identify and establish community resources to meet the needs of the Native American individuals and families that are served to prevent a duplication of services and to promote effective use of resources.
• May refer clients to appropriate community resources as identified during the in-take interview, utilizing a Direct Referral System. Advocates and assists clients in obtaining stated services.
• Explains program rules, regulations, and procedures; assists clients in completing required forms and in gathering necessary documentation to receive services.
• Assists in the intake and coordination of the tribe’s Member Services (Burial Assistance, Disaster Assistance, Domestic Violence Assistance, Donation Requests, Tribal Member Assistance Requests, LIHEAP, etc.); tracks the expenditure of Member Services through excel or other spreadsheets.
• Confers with other department professionals and supervisors regarding cases and assists in the scheduling of appointments for identified services.
• Provides children and families with informational counseling services or Domestic Violence services in conjunction with federal, state, tribal, and other child/family organizations.
• Prepares complete and accurate case notes, writes correspondence, reports, and other written materials, to include statistical reports and data.
• Provides on-going support for case management services that include, but is not limited to, transportation of clients, accompaniment on home visits and court or tribally ordered supervised visitation services.
• Assists in the development and presentation of workshops for at-risk families, children, and others in need of social services in conjunction with other local child/family agencies.
• Assists the ICWA Committee and Tribal Elders Circle with services as requested.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The Social Services Assistant should have personal characteristics which include:
A. A personal commitment to promote self-sufficiency for individuals, families, and communities.
B. Demonstrate ability to prepare and present clear and concise correspondence, recordkeeping, and documentation.
C. Self-confidence, assertiveness, perseverance, initiative, and adaptability.
D. The ability to be objective.
E. The ability to see the entire family as a client.
F. The ability to work with professionals in other disciplines.
G. Strong personal ethics to both respect and protect the rights of clients.
H. A commitment to Native American children and families.
I. Familiar with Native American assistance programs.
J. Familiar with Native American culture.
1. Must have a high school diploma or equivalent from an accredited high school.
2. Must have a valid California driver’s license or license from current residence state.
3. Must pass P.L. 101-630 background check.
4. Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
5. Must have a valid CPR card or be able to obtain one within ninety (90) days of hire.
6. Must have an Associate’s of Arts Degree.
7. Must have three (3) to five (5) years of experience in social work or a related field.
8. Must have familiarity with office equipment, telephone, computer, copy and fax machines.
9. Must have knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
1. PHYSICAL SAFETY: The work requires minor physical exertion, such as short periods of standing, walking over rough, uneven surfaces, some recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities. Job may require recurring lifting of lightweight objects with infrequent bending or stooping alternating with the lighter activities. Job requires minimal agility and dexterity.
2. WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
• Uphold all principles of confidentiality.
• Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards.
• Interact in an honest, trustworthy and respectful manner with employees, visitors and vendors.
• Participate in departmental staff meetings, quality management activities, cultural and educational programs.
• Comply with policies and procedures.
• Display respect and understanding of Susanville Indian Rancheria’s traditions and values.
• The way the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability.
• Any attitude or behavior that will tarnish the name or reputation of the Susanville Indian Rancheria will not be tolerated and is subject to disciplinary action.
1st Preference: Enrolled member of a Federally Recognized Tribe.
2nd Preference: Documented proof of Veteran Status, i.e. DD-214, Veterans Benefit Card.
3rd Preference: All other applicants.
SIR BENEFITS PACKAGE:
The Susanville Indian Rancheria offers its full-time employees a highly competitive benefits package, including: annual cost-of-living increases (based on SSA COLA); eligibility for annual merit increases; twelve paid holidays; thirteen days paid sick leave; up to twenty-six days paid annual leave (depending on length of service); maternity leave; paternity leave; affordable group health, dental, vision, and life insurance; and 401(k) retirement plan.
HOW TO APPLY AND APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
All applicants are required to submit a Susanville Indian Rancheria/ Lassen Indian Health Center application. Applications can be found on our website at: www.sir-nsn.gov/human-resources/ (SIR – LIHC – Gaming Commission Application for Employment P.L. 101-630 Requirements) or picked up at 745 Joaquin Street, Susanville, CA.
Only complete applications will be considered. For your application to be considered complete you must attach the following:
1. Completed Susanville Indian Rancheria/Lassen Indian Health Center Application.
2. Copy of your High School Diploma AND College Degree or transcripts documenting your graduation or completion of your Degree.
3. Copy of your valid Driver’s License.
4. Copy of any other certifications required.
5. Copy of tribal card, if claiming Indian Preference.
6. Copy of DD214 or other proof of Veteran status, if claiming Veteran’s Preference.
7. An additional statement on how you meet each minimum qualification.
Complete applications can be dropped off in person to the Human Resources Office at 745 Joaquin Street, Susanville, California, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. They may also be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to (530) 257-1895 or mailed to the above address. All applications must be received by 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the announcement.