Tuesday, July 23, 2024
HomeThis Day in HistoryLMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History - August 30, 1894

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – August 30, 1894

 

A view of Susanville with Chestnut street in the foreground, taken in the mid-1890’s

Straw Stack On Fire
August 30, 1894

The buildings and hay stacks on the McKissick Ranch have a narrow escape.

A man working with Berry & Lamb’s Thrasher, came hurriedly to town with the information that the straw stack and chicken house on the ranch of Jacob McKissick, and rented to Flo Grass, about one mile north of town on the Susanville road was on fire; caught from a spark from the steam engine that runs the thrashing machine.

Chief Engineer Hodgkinson took one of the steamers and four horses and went to the scene.

The fire was confined to the two straw stacks. About one hundred bushels of unthrashed oats was destroyed and several sacks of wheat. At 2:30 it was thought the fire was under control.

Mr. Grass’s family moved out of the little house for it was in close proximity to the burning straw stacks, on the east side with a strong wind blowing from the west.

There are two big stacks of hay just a few feet further north of the burning stacks, and if the fire should get into them the loss would fall heavy on Mr. Grass.

 

Jeremy Couso
Jeremy Couso
SusanvilleStuff.com Publisher/Editor
RELATED ARTICLES
Susanville
few clouds
58.8 ° F
58.8 °
58.8 °
43 %
1.2mph
11 %
Tue
98 °
Wed
96 °
Thu
93 °
Fri
90 °
Sat
85 °
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

- Advertisement -