Saturday, July 13, 2024
HomeThis Day in HistoryLMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History - July 16, 1924

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – July 16, 1924

Hallelujah Junction in the late 1930’s from an Eastman Studios postcard.

Lassen County Free From Alfalfa Pest
July 16, 1924

Entomologist Enow of the United States Department of agriculture has just completed a survey of Honey Lake valley for alfalfa weevil, but he was unable to find any trace of the pest. In addition to this, the county horticultural commissioner has swept a large number of fields adjacent to campgrounds and other places where it was feared the weevil might have gained entrance.

Hundreds of weevil have been taken by the inspectors at Doyle and Chilicoot from tourists traveling from Nevada into California. There is little doubt but what weevil would have reached the valley before this time had not the inspection been carried on.

At present, there are two inspectors on the Red Rock road leading to Reno, one inspector on the Constantia lane leading from Constantia to the Red Rock road and two inspectors at Chilicoot. Of these, the inspectors on the Red Rock road and those on the Chilicoot road are maintained by the state.

The inspector at the Constantia lane is maintained by Lassen County.

Jeremy Couso
Jeremy Couso
SusanvilleStuff.com Publisher/Editor
RELATED ARTICLES
Susanville
overcast clouds
71.2 ° F
71.2 °
71.2 °
40 %
1.1mph
94 %
Sun
84 °
Mon
93 °
Tue
93 °
Wed
92 °
Thu
90 °
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

- Advertisement -