Home This Day in History LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – March 28th, 1946

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – March 28th, 1946


Lassen County Fairgrounds in August of 1946 from an Eastman Studios postcard

Susanville Plans Fair Buildings
Navy Surplus To Be Sought
March 28th, 1946

If state approval is granted to the plan, Lassen County Livestock show will have to new, modern fireproof buildings up and in use by August 21, when the fair opens this summer, according to a recent plan adopted by the fair advisory board.

The new structures would be of steel and obtained from surplus navy stores. They also would be the largest structures on the fairgrounds, except the grandstand, each being 40 by 100 feet. To be on a concrete floor, the buildings would be entirely of steel.

Since such expansion programs require the state’s approval, the plans and other data were sent to Sacramento. If the reply from there is favorable, the committee here will attempt to secure two of the buildings at once. As soon as they can be purchased and shipped work will start on the foundations, authorities said.

Since the 4-H and Future Farmers of America members are the exhibitors of future fairs, the advisory board recommended that one of the new buildings be devoted to young farmers livestock pavilion and pens, while the other would be for industrial exhibits.

All other building plans have been dropped by the board, according to Abe Jensen, secretary, because of the material shortage. Plans for an extension to the grandstand, and other badly needed improvements have been shelved for this year. The board took the attitude that as long as housing was so critical, the Livestock show could get along for another year without talking lumber which might otherwise go for necessary homes.

Exit mobile version