Home Local & Regional News Motel Fire Reportedly Started by Toddler Quickly Extinguished

Motel Fire Reportedly Started by Toddler Quickly Extinguished

0

Firefighters from the Susanville Fire Department were dispatched to a small fire in hotel bedding, allegedly started by a toddler playing with a small butane torch, at Susanville’s Frontier Inn Sunday morning, arriving to find the fire had been extinguished by the room’s occupants.

Shortly before 9:00a.m., Engine 621 was dispatched by the Susanville Interagency Fire Center to a reported fire in a first-floor motel room.

“The fire was contained to a mattress and bedding materials,” explains SFD Fire Captain Dale Johnson. All other responding units were cancelled and E621 confirmed the fire was out.

“E621 performed overhaul of the scene and confirmed there was no extension of fire to any other areas or items in the room and no extension to other parts of the motel.”

Once the overhaul was completed, a fire investigation began.

“Through investigation and a statement from the occupant, it was determined to be an unintentional fire due to a toddler playing with a butane mini torch and igniting a blanket on the bed,” Captain Johnson continued. “Fortunately, the occupant was able to get themselves and two toddlers out of the room without injury.”

According to the report the occupant of the motel room had then retrieved a fire extinguisher and extinguished the fire.

There were no civilian injuries and no firefighter injuries and the Susanville Fire Department was supported by Cal-FIRE, City of Susanville Gas Department, and the Susanville Police Department.

“The Susanville Fire Department would like to remind the public that matches, lighters and mini torches are tools, not toys. Never allow children to play with matches or lighters, and to not leave young children unattended. Matches, lighters, and mini torches can be deadly in a child’s hand.”

Exit mobile version
X