Lassen Community College:
Maintenance Specialist III-Agriculture
Title: Maintenance Specialist III-Agriculture
First Review Date: 10/14/2022
Months of Employment: 12-Months
Salary: $46,407.14- $56,398.29Job Category:
Provides highly skilled carpentry work in the maintenance, alteration and repair of facilities and buildings in the agriculture department. Works primarily in this single area of, yet is fully qualified and capable of performing related work at this level of skill (e.g., plumbing, electrical, automotive, and energy management.
This position is grant funded.
Education and Experience:
The position requires High School diploma or equivalent plus specialized training in carpentry through a formal apprenticeship or vocational college. Requires a minimum of 4 years of experience at the journey level performing structural and finish carpentry and cabinetry.Qualifications:
Knowledge & Skills:
Requires a thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, techniques, materials, tools, equipment, layouts and set-ups used in the incumbent’s area of specialization. Requires a thorough knowledge of the uses and purposes of general maintenance, hand and power tools and equipment. Must be thoroughly familiar with safety orders of the Industrial Accident Commission related to area of specialty. Must have leadership skills sufficient to guide a small crew of maintenance staff. Requires previous experience with livestock animals.
Requires the ability to perform the essential duties in the area of specialization at the master or senior-level. Must be able to use and maintain all of the tools, equipment, vehicles used during routine performance of duties. Requires the ability to plan for materials and labor, schedule projects, and guide the activities others to attain high quality and efficiency in work. Requires the ability and initiative to independently develop methods and techniques in the interest of effectiveness and efficiency. Must be able to understand and follow oral and written instructions, maintain routine records and interpret plans and specifications found in area of specialization. Must be able to obtain cooperation of and maintain harmonious relations with the employees in other departments contacted during routine performance of duties. Requires the ability to work variable schedules and travel to other sites to complete projects and support special events.
Requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk up to 400 yards, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10 – 50 pounds on a regular basis. Climbs (e.g. ladders), stoops, kneels, and crouches on a regular basis. Requires sufficient hand-eye coordination, hand and finger dexterity including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to operate specialized equipment and read technical (including blueprints) and safety information.
Licenses and Certificates:
A valid driver’s license and journeyman’s card or equivalent professional certification.
This is the senior-level multi-skilled Maintenance Specialist, requiring master-level experience in carpentry journey-level skills in additional related areas. Duties:
Performs some or all of the following independently or in participation with a Maintenance Specialist III or higher, depending on the area of assignment and the ability of the employee.
- Participates in inspections and performs repairs and maintenance to facilities and buildings of the College specifically in the agriculture department.
- Performs basic painting and varnishing duties. Paints walls, doors, rooms, buildings, parking lots, and other surfaces as required. Uses spray equipment or brushes. Prepares and finishes various surfaces. Prepares surfaces by water blasting, scraping, using commercial paint removers, fills cracks and holes or sizing plaster walls. Applies paint, varnish, and other protective and decorative finishes in a manner that reflects senior-level skill and ability.
- Performs rough and finish carpentry required for construction in agriculture areas including but not limited to cabinets, work stations, tables, desks, sheds, scaffolds, fences, stairways, forms, animal holding and handling facilities, and display shelves.
- Inspects roofs. Repairs roof leaks and potential roof leaks. Inspects repairs and re-roofing performed by outside contractors. Designs and makes changes in existing roof details. Writes re-roofing specifications. Performs preventive maintenance of district roofs. Makes and keeps repair records and photo files on all major repairs and re-roofing.
- Perform inspections, maintenance, and repairs including emergency plumbing repairs on all plumbing systems in the Agriculture area.
- Inspects roofs. Repairs roof leaks and potential roof leaks. Performs preventive maintenance of roofs. Makes and keeps repair records and photo files on all major repairs and re-roofing.
- Performs a variety of masonry duties including construction and repair of masonry walls, screens, retaining walls, benches, edgings and facings.
- Operates heavy and light equipment including, but not limited to back hoe, front loader, tractor, forklift, and snow removal machinery.
- Plants and cultivates trees, grass, flowers, and shrubs. Sprays for control of insects, weeds, and plant diseases. Applies fertilizer as needed. Spades and otherwise prepares grounds for planting.
- Mows lawns, trims shrubs, hedges, and trees. Hoes weeds and rakes lawns. Operates power riding lawn mowers, sprayers, common trucks, and other motorized equipment requiring similar skill.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, maps, schematic wiring diagrams and specifications. Maintains required records and makes reports. Prepares reports on work completed and materials used.
- Installs, adjusts, maintains and repairs electronic timers. Installs, inspects and performs major repairs to electronic and hydraulic valves and controllers. Replaces and repairs a wide variety of sprinkler heads, freeze faucets, automatic water systems for animals, and irrigation lines by removing, disassembling and replacing worn or broken parts.
- Provides support to Plumbing, Electrical, and livestock areas as needed. May perform the duties of Maintenance Specialist on an intermittent basis depending on need.
- Operates and performs minor maintenance of light equipment including light tractors, skip loaders, and other labor saving devices.
- May maintain grounds. May train and guide the work of student workers performing labor, custodial, or grounds keeping work.
- Experience with MIG, ARC, Gas/Acetylene welding. Perform welding maintenance duties on Agriculture area including but not limited to welding pipe fencing, welding tractor implements, welding repairs or building of rodeo equipment.
- Perform fence repair or fence installation including but not limited to welded pipe fencing, barbwire fencing, hanging gates, etc.
- Perform basic livestock care and feeding of agriculture livestock and rodeo livestock.
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial Transcripts (Degree Posted)