The Susanville Police Department is reminding the community that while the Historic Uptown Susanville Association’s Annual Safe and Sane Halloween celebration is going on from 3:30 to 5:30, Main Street will be closed from Cottage Street to Weatherlow Street.
They ask that you please follow posted detours for the Main Street closure while the event is underway.
“On Halloween the Susanville Police Department encourages everyone on the road to be extra careful as more children are out walking the neighborhood haunting for treats,” explains Police Chief Ryan Cochran.
“In an effort to keep trick-or-treaters and others in the Halloween spirit safe, The Susanville Police Department will have additional officers on patrol looking for drivers suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.”
The Susanville Police Department offers the following tips for families to be as safe as possible and share the road safely:
• Slow down and watch out for more foot traffic in residential neighborhoods.
• Take extra time looking for trick-or-treaters at intersections and entering/exiting driveways.
• Never drive distracted or impaired.
• If you are heading to a local bar, restaurant or house party and plan to drink, bring the designated sober driver with you.
Parents and trick-or-treaters
• Make sure costumes fit to prevent trips and falls.
• Decorate costumes and bags/buckets with reflective tape.
• Have kids use flashlights or glow sticks to make it easier for drivers to see them.
• Walk on sidewalks, when available. Avoid darting into the street or crossing between parked cars.
• Stick to familiar, well-lit routes.
• Look both ways before crossing the street. Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.