The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for snow and winds…
Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 11 am PDT this morning above 5000 feet…
Hi everybody, here is a quick update from the National Weather Service as snow falls in our area this morning:
* Timing: snow will continue through this morning before tapering to showers.
* Additional snow accumulations: west of Highway 395… 3 to 6 inches above 5000 feet with up to 2 inches below 5000 feet. East of Highway 395… up to an inch is possible.
* Snow levels: 4500 to 5000 feet lowering to most valley floors this morning.
* Winds: southwest 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 35 mph.
* Impacts: expect slick Road conditions and poor visibility with chain restrictions over fredonyer Summit and Yuba Pass through this morning. Slick roads are also likely along Highway 44 west of Susanville.
Snow is expected to pose an inconvenience to travelers. Roads will become slick and hazardous… with snow and ice first developing on bridges and overpasses. Motorists should slow down and use caution.
Live Traffic Cameras From CalTrans
SR36 at Fredonyer Summit
US395 at Doyle
SR44 at Bogard
Junction SR36 and SR44
Western US infrared image from NOAA’s Geostationary Satellite Server
For Road Conditions and Highway Information from the California Department of Transportation call 800.427.7263 or click here for Mountain Highway Conditions.
R1: Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.
R2: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
R3: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
You must stop and put on chains when highway signs indicate chains are required. You can be cited by the California Highway Patrol and fined if you don’t. You will usually have about a mile between “Chains Required” signs and the checkpoint to install your chains.
Control areas can change rapidly from place to place because of changing weather and road conditions.
The speed limit when chains are required is 25 or 30 miles an hour.
When you put on chains, wait until you can pull completely off the roadway to the right. Do not stop in a traffic lane where you will endanger yourself and block traffic.